We all know that this time of year came come with two very different kinds of gains. To help with Turkey Day prep, here are a few mostly Paleo recipes to help with ensuring the gains this week are mostly seen in the gym (though don’t forget, belts come with bigger notches for a reason!). For more ideas, check out the following site, I’ve included a few of my favs below but there are many more mouth watering ideas here!
Beef, celery, walnut and apple stuffing:
• 1 lb extra lean ground beef
• 1 tbsp cooking fat
• 4 stalks celery, diced
• 1 medium onion, diced
• 1 apple, diced
• 2 cups finely chopped walnuts
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• Generous amount of poultry mix or sprigs of fresh rosemary, sage, thyme, and marjoram, very finely chopped, stems removed
• Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 375 F.
2. In a large pan, sauté the ground beef and celery with the cooking fat for about 3 minutes. Make sure to crumble the ground beef to small pieces.
3. Add the diced apple and onion and continue sautéing for another 2 minutes.
4. Add the fresh herbs or poultry mix, minced garlic, walnuts and season with salt and pepper. Mix well. The meat should still be somewhat pink; it’ll finish cooking in the oven.
5. Put the mixture in a baking dish and bake uncovered for about 30 minutes in the preheated oven.
Cranberry and avocado salad:
• 12oz baby mixed greens, spinach, or arugula
• 2 medium avocados, sliced
• 3/4 cup dried cranberries
• 3/4 cup almonds
• 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
• 1 tbsp poppy seeds
• 1/2 tsp paprika
• 2 tsp dried mustard
• 1 tbsp minced green onion
• 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
• 1/4 cup raw honey (optional)
• Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Apple and almond butter bites:
• 1 apple, cored and thinly sliced
• Almond butter
• Pecans, chopped
• Almonds, sliced
• Roasted coconut shreds
• Dark chocolate chips (optional)
• Dried cranberries
Simply spread the almond butter on one side of your apple slice, place your desired toppings atop and enjoy! The kiddos might have some fun helping with this one.